The maternity moratorium is the period of membership the member has to wait out before the maternity benefits are effective.
- Applicable only in the first year of your membership.
- The period differs between products
- After the moratorium period has elapsed, the maternity benefits will be effective
- Member is enrolled on 1st Jan
- The product has a Moratorium Period of 10 months, hence the benefits will be effective from day 1 of the 11th month.
- The member conceived on 1st July, the 7th month of her membership
Member would like to go for an antenatal checkup on 1st September
This will not be covered because it falls within the moratorium period (9th month). Maternity benefits are not active.
Member would like to go for an antenatal checkup on 1st November
This is covered because maternity benefits are effective. The moratorium period has elpased.
Despite her conceiving within the moratorium period
Member went into labour on 1st October
This will not be covered because it falls within the moratorium period (10th month). Maternity benefits are not active.